Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Behold, another virginity lost...

I know I'm kind of late to the party, but the other week I tried stamping for the first time. Ever! Yes, it's true. I've been very reluctant, for several reasons, so I've persisted all this time. Can you believe it?

First: I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to stamping motives. I don't necessarily think it looks all that good with a little flower, seemingly randomly stamped onto an equally random nail. I know this probably makes me a little less worth compared to other human beings, but whatever understanding I lack in this field, I try to compensate for in other ways. Still, I have seen quite a few very inventive and nice, layered stampings in my days - double stamped, triple stamped, or even quadruple stamped dammit! - but as soon as I start contemplating how time consuming this must be, I boggle and move the idea to the very back of my poor little head.

Then, I got some nailart supplies provided to me by the Born Pretty Store, among them some stamping essentials. So I decided to try it. So, this is not a post on a pretty Konad or Fauxnad manicure, it's pure documentation of how well - or disastrous - a first attempt may turn out.

This is what I used:

The plate, of typical so called fauxnad character, the stamp and the razor scraper were the items I got from Born Pretty. But since I've heard the razor can damage the plate, and that your average plastic card is much to prefer, I took out an old cinematic gift card, and did the very bold decision to use China Glaze's GR8 for stamping.

Let me tell you, those of you who don't already know this, that it took quite some attempts to get this working. Beeing a rookie, some testing, and some failing, is necessary. I actually managed to remove some failed stampings with my beloved remover pen, not that it turned out perfect, but at least that kept me from redoing my entire manicure.

From about ten or fifteen attempts, I got five stampings on just as many nails! And the gold was of course chosen to go perfectly with my vampy purple OPI Siberian Nights manicure.





And a small close up shot of the little butterfly I used for my index nail:

So, what do you think? Not all that bad for a virgin..? Though I highly prefer the large images that cover entire nails, I'm not sure I'm ballsy enough to try it... Though I do find it tempting, and spent the rest of that very night browsing for image plates.

And the collateral?

Lots of that purrty GR8 wasted. But that's OK.

Swedish word of the day:
stämpel -noun stamp
not to be confused with
frimärke -noun postal stamp
The first one is what's used in situations like these.

15 comments:

  1. I think you did a fabulous job!! I am terrible at stamping on my own nails...I gave up trying :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and I thought I'm the only one that hasn't even tried stamping. Well, I guess I am now. ;) :D It's like I wrote the second paragraph of your post, I completely agree with you! And I think you did a very nice job with konading, I can't imagine how my first attempt would look like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, I'm also a stamping noob -_-' Even so i want more plates and keep trying different stuffs :D I like what u did, looks pretty and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Det ser ju bra ut för ett första försök, hur lång tid tog det? =) Erkänn att du blev sugen efter att sett min mobilbild av den fantastiska manikyren men stjärnor och stenar jag försökte mig på förra julen! ;) Kanske ska plocka fram mina konadgrejer till julafton igen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not too fond of stamping either... I think people many times mis-use it.
    Some patterns can turn really nice and the matte stamping is an effect I find actually very nice :)
    You did great! I would have blotches for designs in my nails in the first time lol! No matter how many attempts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same plate and when I tried to use the hello kitty one, the polish wouldn't stay when I scape the excess nail polish, perhaps because it wasn't deep enough for the polish to stay in the shape :\ But you did a great job!! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great job for being the first time ever. I´m impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. for the first time ever you did great job,i like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did great - certainly much better than I did on my first few times. You will be obsessed with stamping in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not bad for your first attempt. It took me a while to get the hang of it. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your kindness! :D

    Cammi: Vet faktiskt inte, men med tanke på mitt (obefintliga) tålamod kan det inte ha tagit alltför lång tid iallafall, annars hade jag nog bara gett upp i förtid. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snyggt för att vara första försöket! Mitt första försök resulterade i snett placerade snöflingor på ringfinger och tumme.... Tappa inte tålamodet och inspirationen nu, det kan bli riktigt bra i dina händer!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Du har ju smak och stil så det kommer nog bli jättefina stämplingar. Snyggt första försök. Jag är extremt kluven till stämplar och brukar gilla idén mer än utförandet på mig själv. Blir gärna för oroligt. Men samtidigt har jag svårt att låta bli att ibland. Helnagelmönster är då det jag gillar bäst på mig själv men det är så jobbigt att jag sällan orkar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did awesome, especially for your first time!
    The first time I tried, I spent like five hours (no exaggeration) trying, before giving up in frustration and exhaustion. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a beautiful job and you should try full nail stamping, it really isn't as hard as you'd think. I practiced on fake nails to get the hang of it.
    I love the color combo too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Please, NO LINK SPAMMING! Anonymous comments with rude contents, advertising and/or link dropping will be deleted.