Thursday, November 25, 2010

OPI Katy Perry - the bottles and the skittles

Click to enlarge:










I felt that words were redundant so far.

These are all three coats each except The One that Got Away, which I had to do a fourth coat on because of a huge bald spot.

The glitters are of the typical thick OPI glitter formula. And actually Teenage Dream reminds me of the infamous Are You a Movie Star? in more ways than one. It's got the hexagonal holographic glitter, and silver micro glitter. All missing really is the bar glitter. Last Friday Night is just beautiful and jam packed with sparse gold, blue and a shitload of iridescent glitter of all sizes. Both shades have sheer jelly bases, and most of you would probaby not wear it alone; layer it on top of something- or use it under Black Shatter!

Both The One that Got Away and Not Like the Movies were more sheer than I expect from OPI. The One that Got Away looks beautiful in the bottle, but is in my personal opinion pretty meh on. It's slighly reminiscent of Let Me Entertain You from the Burlesque collection, but only slightly, because it's more burgundy leaning, and the fleck type shimmer is more finely ground and less reflective. Definitely more sheer than I expect from both OPI and a red toned color. I have red jellies that apply more opaque than this one does.

The real standout is Not Like the Movies, which is a sort of grey duochrome, black mother of pearl like shade with little silver flecks, that slightly flashes pink and green. Unfortunately the macro photo didn't wind up very good, so trust me when I say this is much neater in real life, and you can probably tell from the bottle shot. I would have needed a fourth coat on this, getting even coverage wasn't all that easy. However, I just don't care- this is the sort of polish that is worth it! If you're like me and loved Brand New Skates, you will probably love this one as well, unless you're one of the pearl finish haters. There are brush strokes visible after application, but they're OK, not upsetting in any way.

Apart from being sheer, the formula was overall good on these and application was a breeze.

And now, the one I know you're looking forward to the most: Black Shatter.

What can I say? It's black.

And here it is on top of the other ones, before topcoating:

...and after:

Quite deep crackles in this one. Compared by the one I tried from IsaDora, OPI's is more dense and therefore a little harder to apply really thin, which gives you more dramatic crackles like these. I like it, but I prefer a more buildable formula with these, so I can make the call myself of what kind of crackles to create. Maybe, maybe, a drop of thinner could help one achieve other results. I'm not yet sure if I'm willing to try that.

So, there you have it. Over the coming weeks, both me and Cammi will surely show you these in full manicures! Sweden is still lacking that bright, light, yellow thing we've heard some people refer to as "the sun", but I guess we've got to play the cards we've been dealt.

Swedish word of the day:
utvikningsbrud -noun pinup girl
Sorry, that's all Katy Perry is to me...

34 comments:

  1. It's kinda funny that judging by the bottle pics, Last Friday Night and Teenage Dream look like those fake OPIs that are a staple at eBay... Wonder how many peeps will now think they're getting a great deal on those two LE lacquers and instead they get a big old dose of Chinese ToXiC polish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful swatches, but colors are..hmm.. i don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg...I want all of them.
    Not too sure about the crackle one thought...
    Not like the movies is my favorite for sure, so pretty <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinning a crackle polish might not be the best- I got one from max factor (aka covergirl in the us) a few months ago and was it compelty dried out- added a lot of thinner and it wasn't too impressed and now it's dried out crackle polish+thinner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,that crackle looks great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're all 'meh' to me. Like OPI's usually are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the bottles these all look gorgeous :) On the nails not so much. I think Not Like The Movies will be the one worth checking out for me. I don't think I like the crackle thing. I know I wouldn't want to spend OPI prices to find out. I'd rather try something inexpensive first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great swatches of really ugly polishes.

    Please, please tell are there any chances for the swatch of opi serena yellow/green polish?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not really impressed by these. :( There's nothing super unique (which is what I'd expect from Katy Perry) except Not Like The Movies..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the silver and the glitters, the red just seems a little dated. I am little disappointed though, I think KP could have done a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the blue glitter...but yeah no backflips over them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eh, I'm so dissapointed with glitter, they looked better on promo pics... I put Teenage Dream on my WL, but I think I'll delete it now. :D Great sweatces!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not at all what I expected from the promopics. I thought Kate Perry was more colorful then this. But the glitters are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS- LMAO at the Swedish word of the day :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a grand post! I'm really looking forward to the crackle. As for the other polishes, I think I might want 2 of them. I do look forward to finding them in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not feeling anything but the crackle. These are very boring to me but thank you for swatching

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the swatches!!!
    I'm still on the fence about Last Friday Night, but I'm definitely getting Not Like the Movies and Teenage Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I'll need to check out Not Like The Movies, it looks like an interesting color.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to see Not Like The Movies live before I make up my mind... but that seems the most interesting out of these. Not something I'd order without seeing though, so it doesn't go high on my lemming list.

    The crackle top coat would be fun, if I didn't already have Isadora's Black Tag.

    Overall, not feeling the collection much. The swatches, on the other hand -- beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Finally swatches of these! They look awesome sepecially the teenage dream and last friday night under the crackle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need Last Friday Night and Not Like The Movies! Gorgeous! Am i the only one who's not feeling this black crackle effect though??

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really just want the crackle! Not like the movies is kinda nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow i really like them all after all :D thanks for the beautiful swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would you please show us "Not Like the Movies" layered over a black creme? I'm curious to see the result...

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like that they are kitchy and I bet they'd be great for layering, but Katy Perry? Neh...
    but then again, I am a sucker for glitter-polishes. Kitschy? Oh, the better.
    I bet I'll be buying them in no time, Katy Perry or no Katy Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree, very disappointing. I thought the blue Glitter is opaque, but maybe it looks good over black or blue. I'll wait until I've seen full and more swatches of these. Thank you anyways. Now I know what they look like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I thought the colors would be more awesome on the nails, but they're kind of disappointing. Still, they're really pretty, so I want them all! I like them with Black Shatter!<3

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like Not Like the Movies. The Black Shatter is too much of the base polish coming through. I like the IsaDora ones better. The others, meh.

    As far as Katy Perry...well I wouldn't even give her the title of "Pin-up Girl".

    ReplyDelete
  30. okay.a little too pastel for something with Katy Perry's name on it. Just wondering How come I haven't seen these yet at the supply house. Now I wish I'd kept Brand New Skates for Myself instead of giving it as a gift. I've never seen it. Gonna go find a swatch.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bruno: Oh, I've only seen those on one single occasion (photographed by a lacquerati that is), but from what I understand they also show up in people's mailboxes after they supposedly purchased what they thought were completely different and legitimate colors. But maybe you're right!

    Sarah B.: I'll try to use the crackle again to make it come out differently, and show y'all. Maybe it'll help people with their choices. I think if I work it really hard it may have a different outcome. :)

    amusedPolish: Thanks for the warning! Then I will NOT attempt that. ;) Still, it seems weird. Crackle polish has to contain solvents like any other polish... They must use a very different kind in those then? Hmm.

    Meeka: If you keep your head up, maybe I can give you an idea of an inexpensive option within a timeframe of... Let's say... A week? :)

    zygzag: Unfortunately, the Swedish distributor of OPI doesn't have access to promotional Serena Williams lacquers. So, the answer is, still, yes, but not before they're available for retail. :/

    mylittlevanities: If you already have IsaDora's Black Tag, the only pro on behalf of the OPI is that it contains almost three times as much, and if you consider the absolute price, the OPI is cheaper by the fl oz than the IsaDora. So, if you're planning on using a lot of crackle polish, backing it up with the OPI should be an option, but if not... No, you won't need another bottle. ;)

    Smaltoitaliano: And so I did in the post following this one. :)

    schmut: But they're not kitschy enough. :/ They are not BRIGHT. I think that kind of sucks.

    Arrianne: I know, she's mostly a not very flattering Betty Page wannabe, with something slightly reminiscent of clothes attached to her, but I saw this one photo of her in underwear only, and it stuck to me. In my opinion, all women who need to take their clothes off to gain popularity are fucking jokes.

    Miss Meshow: The reason you haven't is simply because they haven't yet been released. And BNS is awesome, yet sheer. I love it despite it's sheerness flaw.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Funny, I do not like the glitter UNTIL they are topped with the crackle, then they really pop to me!

    Maybe I need to try this with my other crackles and glitters..hhmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Please, NO LINK SPAMMING! Anonymous comments with rude contents, advertising and/or link dropping will be deleted.